Here are today’s five things to know about corn chips:
- The “original” corn chip is the Fritos Corn Chip, first sold in the 1930’s
- “Frito Chili Pie” was invented in the 1960’s by Teresa Hernández, a cook at Woolworth’s lunch counter in Santa Fe.
- A corn chip is a snack food made from cornmeal fried in oil or baked, usually in the shape of a small noodle or scoop.
- Charles Elmer Doolin bought the patent for “Fritos” from a Mexican man for $100.
- In some areas, it is popular to pour the chili into a bag of corn chips and eat the mixture directly from the bag.
Click here for more.