Sony Pictures made “The Interview” available online on Wednesday, widening distribution of a comedy that triggered a massive cyberattack blamed on North Korea, after backtracking on a decision to cancel the movie’s release that was criticized as self-censorship.
The film was available for rental on Google Inc’s Youtube site as of early Wednesday afternoon. Microsoft Corp and Sony itself are also showing the comedy, the studio said, a day after agreeing to release it at some 200 independent theaters.
“It was essential for our studio to release this movie, especially given the assault upon our business and our employees by those who wanted to stop free speech,” Sony Entertainment Chief Executive Michael Lynton said in a statement. “We chose the path of digital distribution first so as to reach as many people as possible on opening day, and we continue to seek other partners and platforms to further expand the release.”
In addition to YouTube Movies, Google Play, Microsoft’s Xbox Video, the comedy will be available on a dedicated website, http://www.seetheinterview.com, to rent for $5.99 or buy for $14.99. No cable or satellite TV operator has yet agreed to make “The Interview” available through video on demand (VOD).
The showing is a chance for Google and Microsoft, which have been bit players in a VOD market dominated by Apple Inc, Amazon.com Inc and cable and satellite operators, to raise their profile.
Google said it had weighed the security implications of screening the movie – described by reviewers as “profane” and “raunchy” – after Sony contacted the company about a week ago about making it available online.
“Given everything that’s happened, the security implications were very much at the front of our minds,” Google’s chief legal officer, David Drummond, wrote in a blog post. “But after discussing all the issues, Sony and Google agreed that we could not sit on the sidelines and allow a handful of people to determine the limits of free speech in another country (however silly the content might be).”
Google has an “enormous” infrastructure that is well tested in fighting off denial of service and other attacks, said Barrett Lyon, principal strategist with F5 Networks and an expert in Internet network security. “I wouldn’t imagine seeing ‘lights-out’ at YouTube,” he said, adding that Microsoft could be more vulnerable
Sony said on Tuesday it was trying to secure other platforms to reach the largest possible audience after major theater chains refused to show it. That followed threats of September 11, 2001 style attacks from Guardians of Peace, the group that claimed responsibility for the cyberattacks against Sony.
U.S. President Barack Obama last week blamed the cyberattacks on North Korea and added to a chorus of criticism by politicians and Hollywood actors, screenwriters and directors accusing Sony of succumbing to censorship.
The White House on Wednesday praised the decision to release the film.
“As the president made clear on Friday, we do not live in a country where a foreign dictator can start imposing censorship here in the United States,” White House spokesman Eric Schultz said in a statement. “With today’s announcements, people can now make their own choices about the film, and that’s how it should be.”
A national security official said on Tuesday that U.S. authorities did not rate the hackers’ threats against theatergoers seriously, but it was not yet clear whether U.S. agencies would issue any warnings of possible attacks on exhibitors.
CNN, which first reported that Sony was in talks with Google’s Youtube on releasing the movie, said the studio also had held talks with Apple about making the comedy available on its iTunes store but that the negotiations broke down.
Obama vowed in a news conference on Friday to respond to the cyberattack “in a place and timing and manner that we choose.”
Japan, meanwhile, has begun working to ensure basic infrastructure is safe and to formulate its diplomatic response, officials said, fearing it could be a soft target for possible North Korean cyberattacks in the escalating row over the Sony Pictures hack.
And South Korea is seeking the cooperation of Chinese authorities in a probe into a cyberattack on its nuclear power plant operator after tracing multiple Internet addresses involved to a northeastern Chinese city near North Korea, a prosecution official said.
(Additional reporting by Michele Gershberg and Liana Baker in New York, Jim Finkle in Boston, Meeyoung Cho in Seoul, Tim Kelly and Nobuhiro Kubo in Tokyo; Writing by Christian Plumb; Editing by Gunna Dickson and Steve Orlofsky)
SOURCE: ERIC KELSEY AND MARY MILLIKEN