Although pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. said last week that he planned to give a rematch to Marcos Maidana, the unified welterweight champion made it official on Thursday with an announcement over social media.
Mayweather-Maidana II — dubbed “Mayhem” — will go down Sept. 13 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena and headline a Showtime PPV card, the fourth bout of Mayweather’s six-fight deal with Showtime/CBS.
Although the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York, has pressed hard to land a Mayweather fight, he is comfortable fighting in his hometown and will lace ’em up at the MGM Grand for the 10th consecutive time.
Mayweather is hoping to erase any doubt about what happened on May 3 when he faced Maidana for the first time and won a majority decision — 117-111, 116-112 and 114-114 — to unify 147-pound world titles in a very tough fight, one of the most competitive and entertaining of his career.
Although most thought Mayweather (46-0, 26 KOs), 37, did enough to win, Maidana (35-4, 31 KOs), 30, of Argentina, disputed the decision after giving Mayweather his most difficult fight in years.
Mayweather also probably picked Maidana because he is essentially out of established opponents to face since a showdown with fellow champion Manny Pacquiao — the one fight the public has demanded for years — is not even up for discussion given their different promotional and network alliances. And that’s even before an argument over the financial split, drug testing and numerous other issues.
“It was such a great fight in May and I know everywhere I’ve been going the fans have been saying that and that Floyd should fight him in a rematch,” Mayweather Promotions chief executive Leonard Ellerbe told ESPN.com. “So why not? Maidana thought he won the fight. Floyd knows he won the fight. It was a tremendous fight.”
Ellerbe said they considered other potential opponents, but he declined to name names.
“I don’t want to get into the names. It comes down to that the first fight was a great fight and this is a fight that fans wanted to see again,” Ellerbe said.
The fight will be promoted by Golden Boy Promotions, which has promoted all of Mayweather’s fights since 2007. The reason why that is noteworthy is because last month, in the wake of the resignation of Golden Boy chief executive Richard Schaefer, who is very close to Mayweather, Ellerbe told ESPN.com that they would no longer work with Golden Boy.
“Absolutely not,” Ellerbe said when asked if they would work with Golden Boy minus Schaefer.
Click here to read more.