Today, June 30th, is the 5th annual Social Media Day — the first day of Social Media Week. Social Media Day was launched by Mashable.com in 2010 to encourage people to “sit back for a moment and reflect on the widespread changes social media and the digital revolution have provided us.”
One of the greatest blessings of the digital revolution is the interconnected state of the world. People are more connected now than at any time before in history. This is a great benefit for the church of Jesus Christ, as we seek to fulfill the Great Commission by sharing the Gospel with “all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues” (Revelation 7:9).
- You can get a cell signal in 90% of the world.
- More than 60 billion mobile apps were downloaded in 2012
- 70% of YouTube traffic comes from outside the U.S.
- Every month viewers watch over 6 billion hours of video on YouTube.
- Around 58 million tweets are posted on Twitter every day.
- There are over 1 billion Facebook users worldwide today.
All of this means that there is no better time, and we have no better opportunity, to reach the world with the soul-saving, life-transforming Gospel of Jesus Christ than right now.