I surrendered my life to Jesus in 1990; however, I did not surrender my finances to Him until 1999.
It was a battle! I believed I could trust God with my eternity, but was not sure I could trust Him with my money. How insane is that?
BUT…in 1999 I COMPLETELY SURRENDERED my finances to Jesus. I began to tithe and also tried my best to listen to the Holy Spirit as He led me in certain situations to be generous.
If someone were to ask me why I give-the following four reasons are my answer.
#1 – I want to be a fully devoted follower of Christ.
I once heard someone say that He is either Lord OF ALL or He is not Lord AT ALL. And it took me quite a few years to realize that this included my money as well.
As I mentioned earlier, I trusted Him with my salvation and that He had promised me a place in heaven, but I could not trust Him with my money. I began to realize how insane and hypocritical that was for me.
I began to see verses like Colossians 1:17 – which is a promise that IN HIM ALL THINGS hold together.
I took a look at my finances, which were completely in shambles, and realized I had tried to do it all on my own and was NOT being very successful. By the time I married Lucretia in April of 2000, we had over $100,000 in debt and didn’t even own a home!
- I saw that Jesus said that I should tithe in Matthew 23:23.
- I saw that Jesus said that my heart will always follow my money in Matthew 6:21.
- I saw that Jesus said that I could not serve both Him and money in Matthew 6:24.
- And I heard someone tell me that until my wallet was fully surrendered to God that my walk with Him would always have a limp.
I finally came to the conclusion that it was a spiritual impossibility to be a fully devoted follower of Christ without being completely surrendered in my finances.
#2 – I believe that it is impossible to out give God!
Either the Bible is true and can be completely trusted…or it is false and cannot be trusted at all.
Personally, I have bet my life and eternity that the Bible is true. I have NEVER met anyone who had pain and regret in their lives because they had decided to live by Biblical principles.
With that in mind…
- The Bible says in Proverbs 3:9-10 that if we will put God first He will bless us-period.
- The Bible says in Malachi 3:10-12 that if we will tithe (give the first 10% of our income) that God will pour out so much blessing that we will not have room for it.
- The Bible says in II Corinthians 9:6-15 that if we sow financial generosity we WILL reap generously.
- The Bible tells a story in John 6:1-13 of a little boy who had five loaves and two fish, put them in the hands of Jesus and He multiplied them, fed over 15-20 thousand people and then took up 12 baskets of leftovers!!
I can honestly say I believe it is IMPOSSIBLE to out give God. When we, in faith, put Him first He will honor us doing so because He said He would.
Click here to read more.
SOURCE: The Christian Post
Perry Noble is the founding and senior pastor of NewSpring Church in South Carolina. The church averages 26,000 people during weekend services at multiple campuses throughout the state. Noble, his wife Lucretia and their daughter Charisse live in Anderson, South Carolina. You can read all of Perry’s unfiltered thoughts about life and leadership at PerryNoble.com.