The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much. –James 5:16b
After 34 years of marriage, my husband, Lamar, announced that he wanted a divorce. “I don’t love you,” he said. “I don’t need you. I don’t want you.”
I was devastated.
“Either you get a divorce or I will,” Lamar said. “I’m sick of hearing about God.”
I told Lamar that I couldn’t file for divorce.
“Well, just leave me alone,” he said.
And I did.
I knew that I was powerless to change my husband’s unbelieving heart—only the Lord could do that. Through God’s amazing mercy and grace, our marriage and Lamar’s soul were saved.
The following are 10 prayers that I prayed for my husband. You may not face the same situation as I did, but if you have an unbelieving spouse, these prayers can help you focus on the God who changes hearts. (Just substitute the name of your spouse.)
1. “Lord, may Your wise and knowing Spirit rest on Lamar. Be Lamar’s counselor. May Lamar delight in You and obey Your commands. Convict Lamar of sin, the righteousness of Jesus Christ, and of the coming judgment.” (Isaiah 11:2-3)
2. “God, You will fulfill the purpose in each of our lives. Your love endures forever—do not abandon the works of Your hands. Do not abandon Lamar. Draw him to You.” (Psalm 138:8)
3. “Bring Lamar to the end of himself and into a living, vital, intimate, overpowering relationship with Jesus Christ. Open his eyes that he may see wonderful things in Your law.” (Psalm 119:18)
4. “Your hands made Lamar and formed him; give Lamar understanding to learn Your commands.” (Psalm 119:73)
5. “Bless Lamar. Your Word says that Your kindness leads to repentance. Don’t allow Lamar to continue to store up wrath for himself.” (Romans 2:4-6)
Click here to read more.
SOURCE: Family Life