Tabernacle Baptist Church is celebrating 70 years of ministry in the Carnation City with special services on Sunday. The theme, “Honoring the Past, Building the Future,” is based on Hebrews 1:1-2.
According to a brief church history submitted to The Review, the church began as a group of believers gathering at “The Tabernacle,” located at the intersection of Harrison Street and Park Avenue, under the name of Baptist Mission of Alliance. In April 1944, the group organized under the name of Tabernacle Baptist Church, with a faithful gathering of roughly 22 attendees.
As membership increased, the need arose for a larger facility, and the congregation moved to its first church home at 659 Willow St. under the leadership of the Rev. James E. Guy. Other previous pastors included the Rev. John Hoard Jr.; Pastor Ware; the Rev. Albert D. Carter, who led the church through a roof-crumpling snowstorm and a fire that gutted the church and also oversaw the subsequent building of a new church at 100 N. Franklin Ave.; the Rev. Clyde Crooks; the Rev. Limmie F. Snell III; and the Rev. Bobby Williams.
Its current pastor, the Rev. Aaron Hill Sr., was elected in 2007 and oversaw the move to 715 S. Arch Ave. in 2011. Recent additions to the facility have included new chairs for the sanctuary, central air and a new public address system. The church also purchased a van and launched a clothing closet and homeless outreach program.
Sunday’s special services will be held at 10:15 a.m. and 3 p.m. Sunday school classes are held at 9 a.m., and praise and worship begins at 10 a.m.
The Rev. Jimmy Ruffin of Love Reach Ministries in Canton will be the guest speaker featured during the morning service, which will be followed by a dinner.
Source: The Review | RUTH LANG email@example.com