[ca_audio url_mp3=”http://www.buzzsprout.com/3192/159832-true-hope-in-hopeless-times-part-3.mp3″ url_ogg=”” download=”true” align=”none”]
Sunday Evening Evangelistic Message #159
TEXT: John 14:1-4
We have been looking at the topic of true hope in hopeless times over the past few weeks. And, ladies and gentlemen, our true hope is the same as Vance Havner’s true hope — and it is found in the same place — in the back of the Bible. So far, we have learned that the true hope of Christians is a person — Jesus Christ, and an event — the Rapture, when Jesus Christ will come to earth to gather all those who believe in Him for salvation. In part 2 of this series, we also saw three reasons why we look forward to the Rapture:
1. We look forward to the Rapture because it means being like Jesus
2. We look forward to the Rapture because it means being with Jesus
3. We look forward to the Rapture because of the certainty of the promise of Christ’s coming.
Today, I want us to look at how our hearts can be at peace during perilous times.
1. Choose not to have troubled hearts. In John 14:1-4, Jesus Christ tells His disciples and us to “let not your heart be troubled.” The word troubled means “to cause inward commotion or to take away calmness of mind.” Many of us skip over this little phrase and hurry on to Jesus’ promises about going to Heaven and preparing a place for us there.
2. Choose to believe in God. The key to overcoming our troubled hearts is found immediately after Jesus’ first statement. He says, “believe in God.” This phrase is also a command.
3. Choose to believe in Jesus Christ. After telling His disciples to “believe in God,” Jesus Christ goes on to say, “believe also in Me.” This is the third command in this single verse.
Don’t trust in people and things. People die, people let you down, people disappoint you. Things perish and can be taken away. Trust in God who does not change and in Jesus Christ who promised that He would never leave us nor forsake us. If you do this, you will have no reason to have a troubled heart and you can have true hope in hopeless times.
Daniel Whyte III has spoken in meetings across the United States and in twenty-three foreign countries. He is the author of thirty-four books. He is also the president of Gospel Light Society International, a worldwide evangelistic ministry that reaches thousands with the Gospel each week, as well as president of Torch Ministries International, a Christian literature ministry which publishes a monthly magazine called The Torch Leader. He is heard by thousands each week on his radio broadcasts, The Prayer Motivator Devotional and the Prayer Motivator Minute, as well as Gospel Light Minute X, the Gospel Light Minute, the Sunday Evening Evangelistic Message, the Prophet Daniel’s Report and the Second Coming Watch Update. He holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Theology from Bethany Divinity College, a Bachelor’s degree in Religion from Texas Wesleyan University, and a Master’s degree in Religion from Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary. He has been married to the former Meriqua Althea Dixon, of Christiana, Jamaica for twenty-five years. God has blessed their union with seven children. Find out more at www.danielwhyte3.com. Follow Daniel Whyte III on Twitter @prophetdaniel3 or on Facebook.