The Evangelical Christian Publishers Association (ECPA) today announced 36 finalists in seven categories for the 2014 Christian Book Award® program, honoring Christian publishing’s best book and Bible releases of the year. Each category announced five finalists, with six announced in Bible Reference due to a tie. The winner in each category will be announced at the industry’s award banquet on April 28 at Focus on the Family, held opening night of the ECPA Leadership Summit. ECPA will also celebrate its 40th anniversary that evening and include a reunion reception for industry alumni.
The 2014 Christian Book Award® program nominees are:
- The CEB Study Bible, Abingdon Press, 9781609260408
- Holman Study Bible NKJV Edition, B&H Publishing Group, 9781433605093
- The MacArthur Study Bible NIV, John MacArthur, General Editor, Thomas Nelson Publishers, 9781401677404
- The New Inductive Study Bible ESV, Precept Ministries International, Harvest House Publishers, 9780736947008
- The Wayfinding Bible NLT, Doris Rikkers, General Editor; Jeannette Taylor, Development Editor, Tyndale House Publishers, 9781414361925
Category: Bible Reference
- The Baker Illustrated Bible Dictionary, Tremper Longman III, Ed., Baker Books, a division of Baker Publishing Group, 9780801012976
- Christianity and World Religions, Derek Cooper, P&R Publishing Company, 9781596384460
- Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels (2nd Edition), Joel B. Green, Jeannine K. Brown, Nicholas Perrin, InterVarsity Press, 9780830824564
- Handbook of Women Biblical Interpreters, Marion Ann Taylor, Ed., Agnes Choi, Associate Ed., Baker Academic, a division of Baker Publishing Group, 9780801033568
- The King in His Beauty, Thomas R. Schreiner, Baker Academic, a division of Baker Publishing Group, 9780801039393
- Sermon on the Mount, Scot McKnight, Zondervan, 9780310327134
- The Boy and the Ocean, Max Lucado, Illustrated by T. Lively Fluharty, Crossway, 9781433539312
- Circle Maker For Kids, Mark Batterson, Zondervan, 9780310724926
- God’s Love For You Bible Storybook, Richard and Renee Stearns, Thomas Nelson Publishers, 9781400321872
- Eternity, Randy Alcorn, Kingstone Comics, 9781936164257
- The Sparkle Box, Jill Hardie, Ideals Publications, A Guideposts Company, 9780824956479
- Burning Sky, Lori Benton, WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group, 9780307731470
- Dark Justice, Brandilyn Collins, B&H Publishing Group, 9781433679537
- Iscariot: A Novel of Judas, Tosca Lee, Howard Books, A Division of Simon & Schuster, Inc., 9781451683769
- The Prayer Box, Lisa Wingate, Tyndale House Publishers, 9781414388250
- Wings of Glass, Gina Holmes, Tyndale House Publishers, 9781414366418
- He Walks Among Us: Encounters with Christ in a Broken World, Richard and Renee Stearns, Thomas Nelson Publishers, 9781400321865
- Launch Your Life, Kenny Silva, Thomas Nelson Publishers, 9781418550110
- Sober Mercies, Heather Kopp, Jericho Books, an imprint of Hachette Book Group, 9781455527748
- 20,000 Days and Counting, Robert D. Smith, Thomas Nelson Publishers, 9780849948541
- Welcome to Our Table: Sharing Favorite Recipes, Inspirational Stories, and Heartwarming Gatherings, Shirley and Danae Dobson, with Julie Johnson (photographer), Harvest House Publishers, 9780736959445
Category: New Author
- Called to Stay: An Uncompromising Mission to Save Your Church, Caleb Breakey, Harvest House Publishers, 9780736955423
- Falling Into Place, Hattie Kauffman, Baker Books, a division of Baker Publishing Group, 9780801015380
- Inspired You, Marian Parsons, Thomas Nelson Publishers, 9781400320882
- Packing Light: Thoughts on Living Life with Less Baggage, Allison Vesterfelt, Moody Publishers, 9780802407290
- Resurrection Year, Sheridan Voysey, Thomas Nelson Publishers, 9780849964800
- C.S. Lewis – A Life, Alister McGrath, Tyndale House Publishers, 9781414339351
- Crazy Busy: A (Mercifully) Short Book about a (Really) Big Problem, Kevin DeYoung, Crossway, 9781433533389
- The Cross in the Shadow of the Crescent: An Informed Response to Islam’s War with Christianity, Erwin W. Lutzer, Harvest House Publishers, 9780736951326
- God’s Double Agent, Bob Fu with Nancy French, Baker Books, a division of Baker Publishing Group, 9780801015724
- Joni and Ken, Ken & Joni Eareckson Tada with Larry Libby, Zondervan, 9780310314691
Authors Richard and Renee Stearns were honored with two nominations for titles in the Children’s category and in Inspiration. Thomas Nelson had the highest number of finalists with seven nominations and small publisher Kingstone Comics received a first time nomination in the Children’s category for the graphic rendition of Eternity by Randy Alcorn.
“The Christian Book Awards® program is the great equalizer: recognizing excellence among the year’s Christian titles whether the marketing budgets are large or small, the author is known or unknown, or the publisher size large or small,” says ECPA President/CEO Mark Kuyper.
The industry’s highest book honor, the 2014 Christian Book of the Year™, will be bestowed upon one title from all nominees, according to overall impact in the marketplace.
Winners will be announced at the ECPA Awards & Anniversary Banquet on April 28 in Colorado Springs at Focus on the Family, opening night of the ECPA Leadership Summit. Tickets to the banquet can be purchased for $59 in ECPA’s online store. Industry alumni are invited to attend at a discounted rate as part of ECPA’s 40th Anniversary celebration. (Those registered for the ECPA Leadership Summit do not need to purchase separate tickets.)
Christian Book Award® program finalists and winners receive recognition and support throughout multiple retail and media outlets, including Christianity Today, BookShout, ChristianBook.com, Cokesbury, Family Christian, Lifeway, Mardel, Munce Group, Parable Christian Stores, Crossings, Innovative/Signature Websites, NetGalley, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble.
The Christian Book Award® program, established in 1978 as the Gold Medallion Book Awards by the Evangelical Christian Publishers Association, recognizes the absolute highest quality in Christian books. Based on excellence in content, literary quality, design, and impact, the Christian Book Award® program is the oldest and among the most prestigious awards in the religious publishing industry.
For more information, visit www.ecpa.org/?page=cba_1_overview
For more information on finalists, visit www.christianbookexpo.com/christianbookawards
# # #
The Evangelical Christian Publishers Association (ECPA) is an international non-profit trade organization, comprised of nearly 200 member companies worldwide, representing a combined revenue of nearly $1.4 billion. Since 1974, ECPA has strengthened Christian publishing by building Networking, Information, and Advocacy opportunities within the industry and across multiple channels so that our members can more effectively produce and deliver transformational Christian content.
For more information about ECPA: 480-966-3998, email@example.com, www.ecpa.org.