Pantry staples help transform macaroni and cheese in a matter of minutes.
Adding new flavors and textures is a great way to take macaroni from boring to extraordinary. You don’t need to make an extra trip to the store to try Betty’s new takes on the comfort-food classic; in fact, you probably have most of the ingredients on hand already. Simply start with a basic macaroni recipe—like our top-notch Family-Favorite Macaroni and Cheese—and give it a new twist with any of the following ingredients.
Sprinkle on before baking:
- Mix ½ cup fresh or dried bread crumbs with 2 tablespoons melted butter or olive oil
- One-half cup crushed plain potato chips (flavored chips tend to get too brown if added before baking)
- One-half cup French-fried onions
Add just before removing from oven:
- One-half cup additional shredded cheese (bake 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted)
Sprinkle on about ½ cup of any of the following after baking—or serve alongside:
- Crushed plain or flavored croutons
- Crushed crackers, flavored potato chips or snack chips
- Chopped fresh parsley or other herbs
- Sliced or cubed avocado
- Thinly sliced or chopped tomatoes
- Salsa or sour cream
- Diced bell peppers
- Sliced olives
Click here for more ideas.
SOURCE: Betty Crocker