Protesters Rally Over Trayvon Martin’s Death, Demand Arrest

136Protesters upset about the shooting death of an unarmed Florida teen rallied outside a local courthouse Monday, demanding the arrest of a neighborhood watch captain who told police he shot the teen in self-defense. 

Protesters upset about the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin rally outside the Sanford County courthouse Monday.

Many carried signs in remembrance of Trayvon Martin, 17, who was shot on his way from the store to the Sanford home of his father’s fiancee last month.
“Gone but not forgotten,” read one that had a picture of the young man wearing a football uniform.
“No justice for Trayvon. No peace for Sanford!” read another.
Inside the Seminole County Courthouse, a handful of student protesters and a law professor from Florida A&M University met with a representative of the state attorney’s office to discuss the ongoing investigation.
Assistant State Attorney Pat Whitaker told the group it would take several weeks to look at the case, but that the “investigation of the Sanford police needs to be greatly supplemented,” Jasmine Rand, the FAMU professor, said after the meeting.
The state attorney’s office also said a voice analysis would be conducted on 911 calls from the night of the shooting to determine who was yelling for help, students said.
A spokeswoman for the state attorney’s office confirmed Whitaker met with the group, but declined to comment on the specifics of what was said.
According to the 911 calls released on Friday, terrified neighbors implored dispatchers to send police as a voice in the background screamed for help.
Martin was carrying a drink and candy when George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch captain, called 911 to report a suspicious man, authorities said.
The 911 dispatcher told Zimmerman not to confront him. But by the time police arrived, Martin lay dead with a gunshot wound in the chest, according to Sanford Police Chief Bill Lee.
Zimmerman told police he shot the teen in self-defense, authorities said, and remains free as the state attorney investigates. Police said he has not been charged because there are no grounds to disprove his story of what happened.
Source: CNN