He is ranked as one of the greatest and most innovative coaches in NFL history. He invented the now popular 4-3 defense, and the “flex defense” system made famous by the “Doomsday Defense” squads he created during his 29 year tenure with the Dallas Cowboys.
He won two Super Bowl titles (Superbowl 6 and Superbowl 12), 5 NFC titles, 13 Divisional titles, and compiled a 270-178-6 record, the 3rd most wins of all time for an NFL coach. His 20 career playoff victories are the most of any coach in NFL history. He was named the NFL Coach of the Year in 1966 and the NFC Coach of the Year in 1975. His most impressive professional accomplishment is his 20 consecutive winning seasons (1966-1985), an NFL record that remains unbroken and unchallenged. It remains one of the longest winning streaks in all of professional sports history.
He recalled his spiritual journey of attending church with his parents as a child. But as he climbed through the ranks of football, he experienced a “restlessness and emptiness” on the inside. As he neared the top of his profession, he wondered why his happiness at his achievements didn’t seem to last. Two years later, he shared his restlessness with a friend who invited him to church. At 35 years of age and having attended church all of his life, he had never entered into a personal relationship with Christ. After attending this church service, he gave his heart to Jesus Christ. He said of his faith, “I’ve often said that if they would have told me you’re saved by grace, it would have saved me a lot of time. It took me a while to get through all the facts to really understand the Bible and what the gospel of Jesus Christ was all about…I believed my destiny always had been controlled by a power greater than the Cowboys’ ability to win football games. As a Christian, I know my life is in God’s hands. He has a plan for me. Therefore, I never worry about tomorrow or never worry about winning or losing football games. That knowledge gives me a lot of composure in tough situations.” His name is Tom Landry.
I thank God for the life of Tim Tebow, however we need to remember today that there is a long line of Christian men who represented Jesus Christ on the gridiron, and the most distinguished gentleman of all time, and my personal favorite, is none other than Tom Landry. Tim Tebow is continuing that long tradition of men who use the football stage as a platform to share the glorious gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.
This is the “Chief of Sinners,” Daniel Whyte III, president of Gospel Light Society International, and just as Tom Landry gave his life to Christ, may I encourage you to do the same. Here is how:
1. Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.” In fact, I am the chief of sinners, so don’t think that you’re alone.
2. Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
3. Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
4. Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
5. Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
6. With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
If you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me the following simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
Believe by faith. Share the faith. and Keep the faith! God Bless You!
Daniel Whyte III has spoken in meetings across the United States and in twenty-three foreign countries. He is the author of fifteen books. He is also the president of Gospel Light Society International, a worldwide evangelistic ministry that reaches thousands with the Gospel each week, as well as president of Torch Ministries International, a Christian literature ministry which publishes a monthly magazine called The Torch Leader. He is heard by thousands each week on his radio broadcasts, The Prayer Motivator Devotional and the Prayer Motivator Minute, as well as Gospel Light Minute X, the Gospel Light Minute, and the Sunday Evening Evangelistic Message. He holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Theology from Bethany Divinity College, a Bachelor’s degree in Religion from Texas Wesleyan University, and a Master’s degree in Religion from Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary. He has been married to the former Meriqua Althea Dixon, of Christiana, Jamaica for twenty-four years. God has blessed their union with seven children. Find out more at www.danielwhyte3.com.