Romans 13:11-14 reads, “And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed. The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light. Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying. But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.”
Last week, you might recall, that we started a very important series, and one that has been heavy on my heart for some time, titled “Why Jesus Must Come Back.” I gave you 22 reasons why I believe and know that Jesus Christ must return to earth to gather His children to be with Him in Heaven. Let me repeat a few of those:
1. Jesus must come back because we can’t tolerate eight more boys being brutally raped by someone who looks like a good, upstanding citizen who they were supposed to be able to trust.
2. Jesus must come back because He has to stop political leaders from trying to turn His creation called marriage on its head out of rebelliousness, and convincing weak-minded people that it is OK for Adam to marry Steve instead of Eve by promoting homosexual marriage which is an oxymoron.
3. Jesus must come back because the only people who prosper under the prosperity gospel are the preachers of the prosperity gospel themselves.
4. Jesus must come back when millions and millions of unborn babies are not permitted to live their lives because they are murdered by their own mothers and fathers.
5. Jesus must come back because in the pews husbands are unloving, wives are rebellious, and teenagers are full of hell.
6. Jesus must come back because some preachers are preaching a false gospel and deceiving the people that Jesus came to save.
7. Jesus must come back because Christian people are being murdered, raped, and blown up in Northern Nigeria and Southern Sudan.
1 Thessalonians 5:1-8 reads, “But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night. For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape. But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness. Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober. For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night. But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.”
Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to talk with you for a few minutes about why THE IMMINENCY OF JESUS’ COMING CALLS FOR ALERTNESS
In the portions of the Word of God that I read earlier, Paul is calling for alertness of the people of God. We are faced with three lamentable conditions in this day and time.
I. WE ARE FACED WITH THE DULLNESS OF MAN TO SPIRITUAL TRUTH
We are well aware that “the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God.” Quite often the spiritual man – the Christian man – is dull to spiritual truth. Too often, he is carnally minded. He does not read the Bible, he does not pray believingly, and he does not engage in the work of Christ aggresively. This dullness to spiritual truth is dangerous. Because of this dullness, many will turn away to the evils of the world. Too many will fail to follow Christ in the service that He wants them to render.
II. WE ARE FACED WITH THE DULLNESS OF MAN TO SPIRITUAL DANGERS
He does not see the pitfalls of life. Sin has been in the world since the Garden of Eden. There is no change in sin. It has always been the same. Some have a foolish idea that the sin of this present day is quite different from what it used to be. Some even suggest that young people are discovering certain things today that were unknown in the past. I have news for you: The sin of this day is the same as the sin of Sodom and Gomorrah hundreds of years ago.
A reporter tells of taking a tour in what is called “Sin City”, which happens to be several hundred apartment units next to the University of Florida. The reporter made his visit to some of the apartments. They were filled with boys and girls. Off-color records were played. Wicked dances were being performed. The reporter said, “Against one wall, empty beer cans had been stacked in a grocery store pyramid. The structure was higher than my head. The pop art on the walls spelled out the brands of beers one may purchase in Gainesville environs. A bar had been installed under the stairway that led to the second-floor sleeping quarters.”
The reporter went on to make his tour of Sin City. He saw the things that were happening between college young people. Then the reporter in these few words tried to justify the actions of the young people: “They are still groping for a way to cope with the present day. They are trying to hide honest sensitivity. They wear outlandish clothes and long hair.” And the reporter says that many of them are bright young people and will doubtless come out of all this on the right side.
First of all, the wickedness of Sin City is the same as it has always been. Men are men, and sin is sin. Men and women engage in sin and go away from God. There is nothing new, nothing revolutionary about it. It is the same old wickedness. Man is dull to his spiritual danger.
III. WE ARE FACED WITH THE DULLNESS OF MAN TO PROPHESIED EVENTS
If you tell people of this world that Christ is coming, in many cases they laugh at you, thinking you are a foolish fanatic. But the truth is, man is simply dull to that which has been promised us in the Word of God. The exhortation of the Scriptures is to watch, to be alert and to be on your toes and ready for His coming.
Dear friend, if you are not ready to meet your Creator when He comes, may I strongly encourage you to get ready. If Jesus were to come back right now, where would you go – to Heaven to be with Jesus, or to hell to be with the devil and his angels forever? You can be sure that you are going to Heaven right now, today. Allow me to show you from God’s Word:
1. Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
2. Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
3. Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
4. Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
5. Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
6. With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
If you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me the following simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
Daniel Whyte III has spoken in meetings across the United States and in twenty-three foreign countries. He is the author of fifteen books. He is also the president of Gospel Light Society International, a worldwide evangelistic ministry that reaches thousands with the Gospel each week, as well as president of Torch Ministries International, a Christian literature ministry which publishes a monthly magazine called The Torch Leader. He is heard by thousands each week on his radio broadcasts, The Prayer Motivator Devotional and the Prayer Motivator Minute, as well as Gospel Light Minute X, the Gospel Light Minute, and the Sunday Evening Evangelistic Message. He holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Theology from Bethany Divinity College, a Bachelor’s degree in Religion from Texas Wesleyan University, and a Master’s degree in Religion from Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary. He has been married to the former Meriqua Althea Dixon, of Christiana, Jamaica for twenty-four years. God has blessed their union with seven children. Find out more at www.danielwhyte3.com.