Eight years ago, mifepristone, “the abortion pill,” claimed the life of Holly Patterson, an 18-year-old who received the drug from Planned Parenthood and used it to terminate a pregnancy.
She died seven days after taking the drug that is also known as RU-486 and 15 minutes before a scheduled follow-up appointment.
Holly’s father, Monty Patterson, did not learn of her pregnancy until a doctor at the hospital told him just moments before her death.
“I felt like I had been left in the dark,” he said. “I didn’t even know what the abortion pill was. I couldn’t believe Holly had gotten pregnant and had gone to get an abortion with her boyfriend…. I was mainly shocked.”
Patterson later discovered that Holly’s death was the first reported case in the United States of a Clostridium sordellii toxic shock infection after medical abortion. Medical abortion is a non-surgical approach to abortion, and Clostridium sordellii toxic shock infection is one of the health risks of the procedure, one that Holly likely did not know about.
“There were no warnings on the label,” Patterson explained. “No one knew about Clostridium sordellii as a fatal bacterial toxic shock infection.”
Source: Baptist Press | Tiffany Owens